“Speak Up, Speak Out, and Be Heard “
Student Government Association’s main focus this year is academics and communication. We
plan to address these issues by doing the following:
1. Expanding the roles of our senators by including them in the processes of reconstructing
each division’s curriculum. We would also like our senators to be more active in resolving
student concerns/complaints specific to their division.
2. Inviting Kaplan to come on campus and teach prep courses, as well as providing students
with practice books for the GRE’s, LSAT’s, MCAT’s, etc.
3. Revisiting the process for course evaluations, and ensuring students voices are being heard
in regards to their classroom learning.
4. Hosting events called “Sweet Talk with the Bosses” which encompasses the student body’s
ability to meet and network with faculty, staff, administration, and leadership on our
5. Administrating a campus address by the President, Dr. Moore entitled “State of the
Academics Address” where past decisions and future plans for our institution can be
uncovered and explained.
Plans for the Academic Year
1. Recycling - Establish a sustainable recycling program for our campus which will enable
us to be a greener campus in the Natural State.
2. Gym Hours - Create better gym hours for the students to utilize the facilities we already
have more effectively.
3. Grant Writing Workshop - Host a grant writing/proposal writing workshop for students.
4. Faculty, Staff, and Student Kudos – Recognize and commend people within the Philander
community who have been exceptional in their roles on campus.
The 2013-2014 looks like a promising year for Philander Smith College. To hear more about the projects make sure to ask your SGA members.
The 2013-2014 Executive Cabinet
Vice President: Amber Brown
Secretary: Alexandra "Paige" Fisher
Vice President of Finance: Diamond Hawkins
Director of Public Relations: Clifford McLeod
Chaplain: Adam Brown
Sergeant-at Arms: Shawn Glenn
The 2013-2014 Student Senate
Academic Affairs: Tierra Holland
Academic Affairs: Bathsheba Petty
Business Office :
Business & Economics Division: Myisha Headen
Business & Economics Division:
Education Division: Bria Murphy
Humanities Division: Brandi Dickerson
Natural & Physical Sciences Division: Carl McLeod
Natural & Physical Sciences Division: Olamide Olawoyin
Natural & Physical Sciences Division:
PSMI: Yvette Johnson
Registered Student Organization: Raven Grey & Demeco Cyrus
Social Sciences Division: Flodira Collie
Social Justice Initiative: Kristen Gary
Student Affairs: Whitney Westmoreland
*The Student Government Association Student Senate exists to service its’ constituents and their divisions*
Follow us on Twitter
Read about our progress on Tumblr
Our office is located in the Residential Life Center across from the information desk.
To contact us, please email