For 135 years, Philander Smith College has been both a beacon of hope and a vessel
through which dreams are achieved.
Personally speaking, I hold dear the education, relationships and life lessons that
I gained from this college. The work the we do each day as faculty and staff members
combined with the investments of time, talent and treasure from our board of trustee
members is dedicated to ensuring that each student we serve graduates with no less
than the same caliber of experience that beaconed me home to serve as 13th president
of my alma mater.
As a former student , the vision that I have for the future of my alma mater are driven
by my hope to see this institution become known not only as a top ranked HBCU but
one of the world’s best liberal arts colleges. As president, I am striving to move
this institution towards excellence all of our programs, in the quality of our instruction
and in our desire to be a contributing partner in Little Rock, in Arkansas, in the
United States and in the World. Some of my top priorities for the next couple of years
- Opening the new student center in 2014
- Increasing enrollment
- Increasing the number of Arkansas students
- Increasing the number of student scholarships
- Increasing the number of business mentors and internships for students
- Enhancing Alumni Business Collaboration
- Increasing the number of On-Campus Job Fairs
- Adding additional Athletic Programs (baseball, softball, soccer, tennis)
- Adding summer academic camps and summer job programs
- Increasing faculty and staff development opportunities
- Increase graduate programs and develop Master’s graduate degree programs
So as you can see, I have my work cut out for me but I am motivated not only by my
own personal experiences, but also by the students and future Philanderians that I
encounter each and every time I step on campus. Again, I would like to thank each
of you for laying the foundation for myself and so many other who attended this institution.
The best is yet to come!
Johnny M. Moore, President, Ph.D